Friday, 8 September 2017

International Literacy Day - Book Card

Hello there! Gosh, it's been a while but I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things. Let's kick off Friday with an awesome card and a couple bookmarks to celebrate International Literacy Day.

I'm a guest designer over at Daring Cardmakers Challenge Blog - and this week is, you guessed it, International Literacy Day!
My card has used a heap of mediums and there are lots of pictures to show you some of the detail. 
Hopefully my card resembles a shelf of books! There are lots of images you can cobble together to get your book, it just takes time to find them and to create each spine. I definitely think it was worth it and had such a fun time making these projects this week. 
Initially, I started off making 2 large bookmarks which measure approx 5"x 2.75" and 4" x 2.75". I punched a hole for the ribbon and then went to town with my Nuvo products, Gold and Copper Embellishment Mousse, and Gold Crystal Drops. 
After these were made, I had an even better idea so got to work on a book shelf card with a detachable bookmark. Although it took a few hours to complete, it looks amazing. 
My first book spine I used my Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer Watercolour pencils and Gathered Twigs Distress Paint. 
My second spine incorporated Nuvo Mousse - Indian Gold, Fresh Copper and Cosmic Brown, as well as Dark Walnut Crystal Drops and my white watercolour pencil. 
The third spine was embossed and sanded very lightly. I then used Indian Gold Nuvo Mousse, Gold Crystal Drops, Rusty Hinge Distress Ink and Mustard Seed Distress Paint. 
My final spine is a piece of mixed media card that I stamped using the Tonic Mandala stamp in Nuvo Hybrid ink - Acorn Brown and Spiced Marmalade Oxide Ink. 
Once dry I began layering up Indian Gold and Cosmic Brown Nuvo Mousse along with some of my Nuvo Alcohol pens (Black, 463, 465)and more oxide stamping. I then added Black Aqua Flow ink around the edge and brushed inwards. 
Using my printer I simply typed out International Literacy Day a few times and adhered. 
I used more Mousse before finishing off with a black watercolour pencil, a Copic fineliner and Black Crystal Drops. 
Once dry I popped some hessian cord through the loop and stuck onto the card with a small piece of velcro (which you can peel off gently). 
I didn't want the spines to lie flat so concertina'd a few strips of card on each one to give it a 3D look and gently rolled the spine over my distress paint bottle. 
I finished with a really cool 'trust the magic' stamp at the bottom of the bookmark - and yes, I am a Harry Potter fan. ;) 
Voila! It may have taken a while but I really think it's such a lovely effective project. I've said it time and time again, but the Nuvo Embellishment Mousse is absolutely amazing and you can use it on practically anything. 

I hope you've enjoyed my blog post and projects today. If you want to join in the challenge, you can head over to the Daring Cardmakers blog HERE

Until next time
Lots of love and hugs
Jennifer x 


A spooktacular four of a kind